Bastille's Wild World album Review: Part II

So I've split the post into two halves because one, it's a bloody big album, and two, it was getting too long I think I'd have sent everyone to sleep. I just have too much to write about them... anyway, here's the second half.


11, Blame.
I've loved this song for a while as it's been played live at shows for a while, this is definitely more my kind of song. It's rock-y and heavy and punchy and badass. It has quite a mortifying story behind it though. It's about gangsters, and someone is about to get shot. So the song tells the story of heightened emotions and final thoughts. The production of this song is so amazing! It plays out the scene in your head while also letting you see inside this guys mind and it's insane, it's so edgy and full of suspense!

12, Fake It.
Another favourite, I absolutely adore this song, it's another released single about a relationship gone wrong but it's actually a hidden message about world corruption, which I love. The song tells the story of a problem in a relationship that can't be avoided and you should probably walk away but you just can't and want to move past it. But this problem isn't something that can be solved, so they want to pretend it never happened and move on, but when you read between the lines and take out the "lover" idea of the song it becomes a little rant on the world.

13, Snakes.
I love this one too, it just represents me way too well. It's about worries getting on top of you, things you know you have to do but don't want to... So you find ways to procrastinate and "bury your head in the sand" which only causes more problems but it feels so good at the time when you're avoiding all your responsibilities. I love Kyle's little solo in this so much as well. It's another upbeat song which is also a lot of fun live and I really hope they play it when I go see them in November!

14, Winter Of Our Youth.
This song is yet another which has personal meaning to me, last year I was in that odd phase between adult and child and I was being forced to grow up and didn't want to. This song is about how unprepared you are to grow up, how the past really is becoming a past and you're separating from it. It's a less upbeat song but still picks up quite well towards the middle/end of the song, and it kind of feels like a slow song even thought it technically isn't.

15, Way Beyond.
This song is amazing!! It's so upbeat and impossible not to dance to, it's snappy and punchy and talks about the damage of social media and it's ridiculousness of it and also the general way of the world. It's about wanting to care about what's going on and being a part of it but also wanting not to be and wanting to wake up from what seems like a bad dream.

15, Oil On Water.
I had to quickly google this to see what other people are saying about this song, listening to it, it's seems to be about a prostitute, it's very detailed yet so discreet as to what it's about, people have said it's about this girl who runs a "comedy sex blog" which I guess would be represent how social media gets taken so far at times and is constantly being used to sexualise people, I can't tell you how many times this past week I've seen "Kim K wears no bra again!" or the amount of people who need compliments from the internet for their self esteem and post things they really probably shouldn't. The song is really good, it's absolutely bizarre and hilarious-but-serious and I really like it. And the metaphor of the oil on water to show there's no emotion emotion between her and the guys because oil and water don't mix and can't become "one".

16, Campus.
This song has also been out for quite a while, and fans have been desperate for a studio version for so long. I think it's about the education system how you don't really learn real stuff it's just copying other people's stuff and how you want to be involved in the whole thing but can't. This song is quite confusing for me though, its' sound is more towards the electronic side than guitar-y which a few of the songs have been in this album.

18, Shame.
I really hope this is played live, it has such a good bass line through it and the "I don't like what I'm seeing lately" bit would be raspy live and we know how much I obsess over raspy voices...
The song talks about someone who changes into someone completely different, perhaps going by society's standards and straying from her usual self. The lyrics used in this song are so good, it's about what a shame it is that someone so close to you can become so distant because they're unrecognisable now. The song has a desperate kind of feel to it with a few raspy's it's another one on my favourites list.

19, The Anchor.
The concept of this song is possibly my favourite too. It's about someone being your anchor. Going back to the album being about a bad world but good people, this song talks about how people can be so important to you and the lyrics are so beautifully written showing how much someone can physically mean to you. The song is heavily orchestrated by horns and brass which I love yet it still has a really soft tune to the song. It's a nice way to end the album with hating the world and suffering with grief at the beginning, to ending with a strong relationship with someone. I like how the first and last songs are about people and the middle is about the corruptness of the world because (whether it's intentional or not) it emphasises the importance of having people around you in times like these.


That's finally all the songs done, this took me four hours to write and my back is about to snap in three places but I'm so happy I got round to doing it at last. A huge element of the album that I haven't mentioned yet is the use of movie clips throughout the songs. Bastille are huge movie geeks and have incorporated little snippets and quotes directly from films into the songs on the album, much like they did on their mixtapes. It adds so much more dimension to the album and it's something a little different to your box standard album. I can't describe how much I really like this album, and I don't think I'll get bored with it any time soon because of the vast range of genres that have been shoved into it, there's so much to listen to and work out and every time you listen to the songs you get a different interpretation or pick up something new from them. I've waited for this album for such a long time and it did not disappoint.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey