Currently Listening To... (10)

I have a week off work so I can finally get myself back into blogging. For so long I've been trying to get up this god damn Currently Listening To! I'm so so obsessed with these songs and it's driving me insane not being able to talk about them. This past week I've been up at 6 or 7am depending which jobs I have and finishing at 9pm. Every. Single. Day. Eleven. Days. Straight. Exhausted doesn't come the slightest bit close to how I've felt. It's been a hard week, but I had a week off and pay day to look forward to. (Definite post on wages purchases coming soon). So, anyways, these are the songs I have been swooning over the past three/four weeks.

Bored To Death - Blink 182, I'll start with this as it's being listened to right now. So Blink came out with a new song. And I just can't get enough of it. It sounds like old school, proper sounding music yet has a fresher sound so it can "do well" with this century. It's so catchy and has so many break down and elements parts to it (which makes no sense) it makes the song seem like it goes on forever even though it's only 3:58 long. I haven't got bored of this song yet and I've been listening to it non stop for weeks. I love it.

Just Like Fire - P!nk, I heard this on the radio and instantly knew it was P!nk, I have adored her since childhood, at first I wasn't too sure on it, I'm not the biggest fan of the pre-chorus, but the verses and chorus are so good it makes up for it. Then I found out that this song is the soundtrack to the new Alice in wonderland film, and I loved the first one so much! The music video is so good. It's so creative and so Alice, and she has her husband and daughter in it. And I like the element of Wonderland being in her head and sending her cray in real life, the ending made me laugh so much.

Fire Meet Gasoline - Sia, I love Sia so much, but I never listen to her music for some reason, this song was in the background of someone's YouTube video and I loved it so much I've been playing it since. I feel like the song has two interpretations. "Fire and gasoline" represents two people, and love. First interpretation is that these two people have such a powerful connection that when they come together it's like an explosion, like an awfully cheesy but powerful and beautiful metaphor. Second interpretation, which I think is more the real intention of the song, is that fire and gasoline have quite a toxic relationship, where when they come together bad things happen or that both of them ignite the dark sides within each other. The thing I love about Sia is how desperate her songs sound, she has so much pain in her voice and she does voice cracks so perfectly. So everything she does sounds so emotional and desperate, however her songs aren't sad songs, they still have a happy vibe/beat to them which I love. I also love the part towards the end of the song where it gets really chaotic, and behind the singing there's a piano being hit so randomly (probably in some kind of  purposely written piece) which adds to the chaos but also somehow sounds good. It sounds like the keys are just being smashed down in any old angry outburst fashion and it sounds good...

Howl At The Moon - We The Kings, so this is the main bulk of songs I am completely head over heels with, We The Kings released a new album in (I think) around Feb/March time and it was one of those "oh I'll get round to listening to it.." kind of things. and I'm so angry it took me so long to listen to. Because this album needed an entire review itself. However, it's too late, and I don't like making these posts too long, so I can only mention my favourites. This one is my ultimate favourite from the album. It starts quite calm and I guess fluttery, then guitars come in, and I can't describe this sound that the song has. I just know that I'm completely in love with it!!! The song is about someone who losing herself, about someone who was everything, the one who brought light into a room when they entered, but now they're not that person. They've been beaten down by life, and Travis is singing from his point of view about how heartbreaking it is to see this happen to someone, about how much he misses this person. It's heartbreaking just to listen to it, but you kind of have to dance because the melody of the song is so good. I can't describe just how good this song is, it's just a beautiful piece of music with a really good story behind it.

All The Way - We The Kings, this is my joint second favourite from the album. It's fun, snappy, veeeery dance-able. Very sneaky little boogie in your room-able. And of course catchy. It's about a girl he's really into who is so interesting and perfect, and how he wants to go "all the way" but in the sense of all the way in life, not "all the way" in one night when you're drunk, kind of way. I have a sneaky suspicion it's about Travis' wife. But I have an even sneakier suspicion the entire album is about his wife (Jenny). It is titled Strange Love after all.

Completely - We The Kings, the second part of my joint second favourite. This has a kind of auto-tune few lines that play throughout the song, which I'm not normally into, but I really like it. It's quite stripped with these auto lyrics and then it all comes in with all the instruments and it's (again) sneaky dance in your room-able. This song is about a relationship, there's talk of bad parts and good parts and history, and it's about wanting all of it, every single part of the relationship. Me trying to describe these songs make them suddenly sound very soppy and cheesy and I guess they are really but they're good, they're so so so good.

Runaway, - We The Kings, this is the saddest song on the album (always my faves on albums) it's about trying to get someone to open up with you. Someone who is sad and closed up, Travis is saying you're everything to me, let's escape for a little while, tell me what's on your mind. That's the song in three clauses. It's very emotional and beautiful, this is how you get a girl to open up to you. This is how it's done. I think the song is linked to Howl At The Moon, Travis is trying to make sure this person does not sink back into themself like they have before (Howl At The Moon) and is trying everything possible. Oh it's so beautiful, I love this so much. It picks up towards the end, as all good sad songs do, with more intense strings and mood setting drums and longer more powerful singing notes.

I could add so many more We The Kings songs, but I'm gonna leave it here, this is what I've been listening to in these long weeks I have been away from my blog. I'm vowing to blog more now. Next week my hours should calm down a bit so I'm officially vowing to get into blogging again.


Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey