What I've learnt since moving out

I was having a conversation with my sister earlier today about the odd little things we've both experienced since moving out, I was expecting my main challenges would be loneliness from living away from my mum, financial struggles of having to prioritise money and dealing with bills etc, the usual, basic I'm an adult now stuff. Yet me and my sister (who also has a place of her own) were talking about how we always seem to have mouldy milk in our house.
I don't know why this fascinated me so much, but I find I have so many milk bottles that go off because I'm not used to having to check the dates on things or having to drink that much by myself per week. And it got me thinking on the other things I wasn't prepared for living on my own.

Last night my sink broke and now leaks. The utter horror that came over me because "omg I don't know a plumber!? How do I enquire about a plumber? Is it expensive? How do I go about the whole situation??????? IS THE YELLOW PAGES STILL A THING!?" In reality it's fairly simple and I'd actually just contact my landlord and he'd sort it, but I'm also avoiding my landlord because honestly, who isn't?

And food. I love cooking and was the main person who cooked in my old house with my mum.

But now, feeding myself is hard work.

I do a food shop to last me a week and three weeks later all the food is still in my fridge and I have no clue what I've lived off of the past three weeks ??? Suddenly cooking dinner takes so much non existent energy and deliveroo is a heaven send. But I've certainly not lived off takeaways the past three weeks. I genuinely have no clue what I've been eating.
However tonight for example, I nipped to the shop and bought a sausage roll and a pot of fruit from the meal deal section in Tesco and that, is my dinner. Because it's 7pm, I've just got in and have a bunch of Skins episodes to binge. Cooking is the last thing you'll catch me doing tonight (and I'm also eating said fruit with a large kitchen knife because my fork is too far out of reach)

Also tea, as a Brit tea is my life saviour but since moving out it has been an actual life saviour. If anything goes wrong it's instantly fixed with tea, coming home from a long day? Tea. Short day? Tea. Plumbing issues? No money for drinks with friends? Too tired for drinks with friends? Tea tea tea.

And oh my gosh the cleaning! There are things that need to be cleaned that I'd never thought of before, Bathroom cleaning doesn't stop at toilet, sink, shower. The tiles, the mirrors, the hidden corners, it's all there and it all needs cleaning and as a fresh baby into the 'living on your own world' cleaning isn't something that I regularly think about and I'll suddenly realise "holy shit. I've lived here for X amount of time and only actually cleaned my bathroom once??"
Or, "I've not done my washing this week and living off a pack of pants from Primark I just bought to get me through."
And "I need to put away the old birthday cards and take down this and that", and suddenly it's my responsibility to do so.


It all seems very simple, and it is retrospectively. But it's things I've never had to think about are suddenly becoming very important things. When people say "oh I have a house to look after" it's a very real thing. And somehow the reality of it has fascinated me.


Shan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey