First Time Blood Donation Experience

So last week, or two weeks ago, I said I was going to talk about my experience/my story with giving blood. I've always wanted to do it since being a child and when I turned 18 it was the first thing I did, signing up to be a blood donor, as well as an organ donor too. I booked an appointment for the nearest date and waited impatiently for April to come around.
So... I am that girl who cries at needles. In year 8 when all the girls have to have their cervical cancer jabs, three horrific jabs, I was that one who cried for the entire day, each of the three days. I was the girl who hyperventilated at blood tests, and nearly passed out at my last blood test from the sound of my blood being sucked from me.
So as much as I was doing this to help other people and save lives, I was doing this for me. Because this is a year of me facing challenges and overcoming fears, and if I can turn my fears into something fun (like saving lives) then I'd be more willing to challenge myself to face others.

So I did a lot of research after signing up, I felt I was pretty educated on how it works, then the night before the day of the donation I did research on how to prepare myself, and mostly all you need is a good sleep and plenty of hydration.

When the time came and I was in the clinic/centre/memorial hall, I was given a booklet and a leaflet to give me further information on what to expect, then given a cold drink of my choice, we had to drink a whole pint before donating blood.
Once that was drunk I was given a quick health assessment to make sure I was well enough to give blood without harming anyone my blood could potentially go to, this took place in a secluded tent type thing where I had a prick finger test and answered a few questions. Once I was clear and good to go it was just a matter of waiting to be called up for the real thing.
Which took about 30 seconds.
I was expecting uncomfortable, flat lying hospital beds for some reason, but there were diagonally sloping recliner chair things which fit your body shape perfectly. There's a machine next to the bed-chair which does all the work for the nurses except the inserting/extraction of the needle. The machine cuts out when exactly one pint of blood has been removed.

So that leaves the needle. The most apprehensive part, the nurse putting in the needle said it's best to look away because people don't realise just how big the needle is, so I did. And I scrunched my face, and counted as many numbers as I could... and then it was in. And I didn't even notice. It stung a little bit after the needle was inserted because the nurses clean your skin with alcohol beforehand which can seep inside of the skin after the needle goes through, but the sting only lasts only 10 seconds. They discuss all of this with you.

Then it was 15 minutes of pumping your hand and a few beeps of the machine to signal you've done your pint and voila! Up to three lives are saved!

I felt nothing as the needle was taken out, I was wrapped up in dressing, and brought over to the drinks/snack table. The best part. A sugary cup of tea and some chocolate.
And that's it. All done.

When I got back home I found I had a bit of a headache, then about an hour later I think my body was feeling the effect of losing a pint of blood, I started feeling really overwhelmed and a bit breathless, but it was nothing tea, food, lots of water and rest couldn't cure.

Overall I really enjoyed the experience, I'm booked in again for August and can't wait. I was really disappointed when they'd told me I was done, I could have sat in that chair pumping my hand for a lot longer, I wanted to donate another pint, and I would have had I been allowed. The needle isn't scary and the nurses are the most wonderful people I've ever met. Not one person there looked like they'd rather be elsewhere, every member of staff was cheery, calming, and joyful to be around and they really made the experience 100X better.

Two days ago I received a letter in the post thanking me for my donation, informing me of my blood type, and giving me a donor card and rubber key chain, to one raise awareness and encourage others, and two, to alert medics instantly of my blood type should I ever be in an emergency.
I wanted to either be the most common blood type so I know for sure my blood would be of good use, or the rarest blood type so my blood would be valued and help people who might not have a long line of blood bags waiting for them. And I was given the most popular blood type, O+ so I know I'll be helping people for sure.

I learnt that just 4% of the population donate blood which really shocked me, I know it's not a mandatory thing to do and I know it's not something a lot of people would be willing to do. But 4% really shocked me. I'll insert a link to the sign up page in case anyone reads this and wants to donate, it's the easiest thing in the world to sign up, it's very informative and will give you the details of your closest event and the location it will take place. Or I think you can turn up on the day and sign up there but don't quote me on that. Sign up here

Finally, I'm going to add some pictures, and one is with a needle in my skin so squirmish people, turn away.



This was taken the night of the donation, this was all I had on my arm, no scary bruise or blood or huge red dot, it was practically gone by morning.


Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey