Currently Listening To...

I wasn't going to write this up 'till later because I've always got a hundred things to do on Mondays, but I enjoy having a more relaxed start to the morning by blogging, it clears my head a little. I've mostly got Bastille songs again, just one non-Bastille song. Here's what I've been listening to:


Victorious - Panic! At The Disco, this song is amazing! It's a guilty pleasure kind of song, the type I'd listen to when I'm absolutely hype and I'll dance around my room and jump on the bed and shout "double bubble disco queen!!!" They released the song 6 days ago but I can't work out what day that means it came out (it's a Monday morning.) and I'm in love with it. Brendon's high note 18 seconds in. What even is that. It's so long, and high, and god damn beautiful.

The Draw - Bastille, starting my Bastille chunk off with what may be my favourite.. at this current moment. This song is so hidden message-ly deep. "The Draw" is a metaphor, and it can stand for just about everything. It's adaptable to everyone, you listen to the song and you think of that thing that's constantly pulling you back, I know Dan has a very story like mind (and wow, so do I) so I like to pick out stories with his songs.. a lot of people have said "The Draw" is Depression, which is the obvious answer, it also makes me think of some kind of a psychotic illness, that a person is half aware of and they can feel it taking over them, or even just a physical illness that is terminal, or maybe a town they're living in, or an unhealthy relationship. I love how the song has no ends of meanings. For me personally, it's about my shyness, I'm so shy and I feel like it pulls me back a lot.
I also love songs that are quite gentle and then have this massive climax and it becomes a really huge song which this song does. And live.. this song is perfect.

Daniel In The Den - Bastille, I'm really struggling to understand this one, I think it's about the bible story where Daniel is thrown into a a lion's den for praising God but the lion's don't eat him because he's protected by God. Just like Pompeii I feel like Dan pictured the scenario and made a story out of it. The song took a while to grow on me, but I really like it now, just because it completely baffles me and it just sounds good.

Weight Of Living Pt I & II - Bastille, I'm still working out these songs as well and because there's two, I get one stuck in my head but it merges into the other and I don't even know what kind of song I'm creating. I prefer the melody of part one, but the darkness of part two, I also like the lyrics of the second, but relate more to the lyrics of the first. It's confusing. But any song about growing up and hating it is my kind of song. 

The Poet - Bastille, this one blows me away with it's creativity. Dan writes his songs the same way I write stories, he sees something, or thinks something, and it expands and he makes amazing songs out of it that isn't really a song but a story. And the whole idea that you gain immortality once you've been written into something is fascinating. Which is why this song blows my mind, because it's about an extraordinary, visionary way of seeing life and stories.. I don't know how to explain it, it's just so intriguing. The song's better at explaining it.

Sleepsong - Bastille, again, the story behind this song is so good. I have two different ideas as to what it could be about, one of them being that someone, a girl or a boy, has just come out of a relationship and now sits in their house alone all day, left with only their thoughts. And they want someone in their life again, to the point they want to go out and pick up just anyone but they know it's wrong, because you should stay away from strangers.
My second thought is a bit darker, that could be made into a pretty sad book. But I think it's about a woman being in a really bad relationship, her partner is never there and isn't a nice person. So she thinks back to old times in desperation and the whole "don't talk to strangers" bit references how she met this guy who doesn't treat her right (say they met at a bar) because he was essentially a stranger who didn't show his true colours until they were together. And now, in the present she wants nothing more than to leave him but she feels hopeless without him, she feels like she needs a man in her life, she's too scared to be alone. The angle the song takes is like it's coming straight out of her thought process, she's switching memories between wanting to leave, being scared of being alone, and how she should have steered away from that stranger who is now her partner.
Which is a brutal thing to connect a song to really... But it's the writer's mind within me. The latter of the song decryptions is the more exciting one and it makes the song so much more interesting I think.

For this week, that's all I'm going to put up, it's a lot of writing and I don't want to end up putting the whole album up here because I can very easily do that..


Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey