5SOS' Hey Everybody Reaction/Review

I wrote out this post yesterday like I said I would, and I'm posting it now. My God am I worn out! I haven't stopped all day, I've got bits and bobs of packing left to do but I can't physically do anything else, everything hurts and I'm tired. Which is perfect because I'll probably fall asleep instantly and then it'll be morning before I know it!
Tired tired tired...


Okay! 5SOS released their second single from the album quite a while ago now, but I didn't post my reaction then because I couldn't find the words to describe it..
But their video came out last night and I'm definitely feeling different towards it now.
I first heard it on Australian radio, well I was supposed to. They were like "ey, we're gonna play the new 5SOS song in 60 minutes!" and then played it in 40 minutes. So I listened via a link on Twitter. Their fault, not mine.
And I liked the song, and I danced and smiled listening to it, but that's all I could really say. I really appreciate what 5SOS are doing for this next album but I think because I'm listening out for these important messages, I'm expecting all to be heart felt ballads like Jet Black Heart. And when I heard the song I loved it, but the message didn't resonate with me because I can't just decide I "don't wanna live this way" because I'm not lucky like the boys, I'm not going to become a superstar any time soon and be filthy rich. And that's how I saw the song...

The video however, changed my perception entirely! It's such a fun song about inspiring people to get out of their dead end jobs. It's imitating people stuck in work, depressed, who day dreams of being rich, and 5SOS step in (with their music) and tell you to "live it up today" and set yourself a goal in life. They end the video by giving these people average jobs still, but they were promoted, they were doing something they enjoyed and became wealthier naturally. So the songs not about wanting to be filthy rich, it's about doing something with your life instead of sitting in a dead end job broke as hell. And this something doesn't have to be a massive step up -from hot dog seller to guitar shredding, stadium sell out, band member. Just from hot dog seller to your own hot dog business, which is easier than people assume. So now I understand the message, I can talk about the actual music.

It's going to be massive live. Everybody can relate to a song about money, and I think in an arena of fans, this song will be really powerful. Because the fans are going to sing their absolute heart out to 5SOS and 5SOS are going to sing their absolute heart out back.
It's a song with chanty "oh oh oh"s and upbeat catchy chorus' with minimally sung verses and punchy lines. That alone will be huge in an arena. It's a fun song with a meaning, I feel like it has a lot of sum 41 vibes, I don't know why but it just seems to carry that vibe. It was written with Duran Duran as every 5SOS fan will tell you in the YouTube comments, which gives the song an 80s Hungry Like The Wolf vibe, mixed with modern day rockiness, and cash register noises. It's an interesting song.





Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey