Blogmas Day 2: Film Review - Last Christmas

I'd been really looking forward to seeing this film, since the first trailer. I'm such a sucker for rom coms, especially Christmas rom coms. I'm also a fan of George Michael and Wham, and a fan of Emila Clarke. It was a film that couldn't go wrong for me really.

We went to go see the film after our city did their Christmas lights switch on, I wanted to make a day of it and have a really nice, Christmassy, festive, amazing day.  Coming out of the cinema later that night left me feeling so enlightened and inspired I knew I had to write up a review. I know the film has been out a while now, but I thought this would make a perfect Blogmas post so I had to hold off posting it, this review is more of me talking about what the film did for me and how it impacted me in such a great way.

This post also will not contain any spoilers, but I will be talking about themes within the film. The trailer actually gave nothing away about the plot, so if you want the film to be a complete surprise don't read. But again, I'll only be talking about the themes in the film.

I left the cinema feeling completely inspired, motivated, heartbroken, yet somehow my heart felt so full. It was the most wholesome, beautiful, meaningful film I have seen in a while.

I always get emotional watching rom-coms. I always fully emerge myself into the film and storyline, but this film had seriously struck a personal chord in me. It clicks perfectly around my life right now which is why it had impacted me so much. There was one line that completely took me back, to the point I felt an actual stab in the chest, because it was the same thing someone had said to me recently in real life.

I don't know what I was expecting going into the cinema - a cute, romantic Christmas film with a Wham soundtrack I guess. But the film really surprised me, it felt really original, it had a good plot and a good twist ending. The characters were all loveable and I LOVE the inclusion of "foreign families" and brexit into the storyline, it was refreshing and I felt it challenged the stereotypes that Britain is all too well known for pinning on "foreign families".

The storyline and main theme of the film is essentially about learning to love yourself, fixing yourself, and taking ownership for your own drama, mess ups and mistakes, and turning it around yourself. Which is so imperative to my life right now. It's Kate's strength and ability to just live that inspired me so much, it was a film I really didn't want to leave me once it was over. Anyone who knows me personally knows that these past few months I've been on a journey where I've took responsibility for my own health and the way I treat myself and this film has genuinely effected me because I saw myself in almost every aspect of Kate.

There was also a section of the film towards the end that talks about how important life is, and how you need to live life to the fullest. Which was done in such an amazing way, the film was honestly just great.

Above all, it's a really sweet, heartbreaking story, it includes family drama, lack of self love issues, and being your own hero of the story. It was also really funny. The whole cinema room had a vibe, it wasn't just me that truly felt this story.
I don't know much about George Michael, what his values were or what he stood for but I feel like this film really did him justice.

It's also not a musical, which I was expecting, it just casually nods towards his music.

I can not recommend this film enough, it was beautifully executed, and I know once it's on sale I'll be watching it all the time, it's possibly the new Christmas classic.


Shan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey