Jet Black Heart & She's Kinda Hot EP Reaction/Review

Today is a good day. Music wise. I have been blessed with 5 new 5sos songs, also Halsey's album came out today and although I'm too poor to buy it, I'm so excited to listen to it, because I can't wait to hear the story she has to tell.
I really enjoyed writing a bit about She's kinda hot when it came out, and Fly away when that came out afterwards. So as soon as 5sos said they were releasing a new song off the album, and the EP was released today, the first thing I thought was blog post. 

I'll start with Jet Black Heart. Fans are describing it as 'the only reason and wrapped around your finger had a baby and that baby became emo.' Because the only reason and wrapped around your finger are Michael's songs, his moment to shine in full glory. Michael has a really good voice, it's so gritty and dark and it's raspy and it's mysterious. So naturally Jet Black Heart, which is a dark song, sang mostly by Michael, it's just.. guaranteed to be a really great song.
It starts slow and powerful and deep, Michael starts by confessing his demons, and that they hold him back. Then he says 'make it okay' which kinda sounds -so far, that this song is a plea for help...
My interpretation of the song is that 'I' whether that be 5sos, Michael, or the fans, have a jet black heart which is also further barricaded by a dangerous storm. Which is a metaphor for having your guard up, refusing to let people in, 'I write with a poison pen' means that 'I' is bitter and pushes everyone away. Like that wounded girl in that film, who meets that person that breaks down their walls and makes her fall in love, this song is that film. The song is about getting close to someone by accident and because you were caught up in the moment, that person could then see through your vulnerability and catches a glimpse of your black heart, and the song is the story of, okay you've seen me broken, will you break down the walls or leave me because I'm too much to handle? And then Calum comes in with this whopping powerful but gentle solo telling us that 'I' did let down their walls, and the other person stayed, and together they burst into colour.

The song after that gets heavier but it's happier.
It's beautiful. It's about confronting your demons, about feeling vulnerable, but most importantly, that when you let your walls down people will still be there, and you can finally live your life in colour. You go 5sos.


For the EP, there are a few different versions out there, but mine has four songs: She's Kinda Hot (Alternative version), Broken Pieces, Over And Out, Lost In Reality.
SKH Alternative version: This is an unfinished studio version, the boys went into the studio, messed around, and left. At the start they're all giggling (the best) Michael shouts a 'howdy y'all!' Luke counts wrong '3142' they're just fooling around, I think the instrumental is pre-recorded and they're all just singing the first thing that comes into their mind, it's fun. I really like it, it makes me want to get up and dance in a very strange manor because the sounds are all over the place, it seems to have a country kind of vibe to it.. I don't know. I love it.
Broken Pieces: is a much more serious song. Unlike Jet Black Heart, I've only just heard it, it's 11am right now. I can't quite understand what the song is saying. I do absolutely love the song, I am in love with the melody of the song it's so good! It's about a relationship which is struggling, there's lots of arguments which has turned the relationship into more of a war. It starts with someone waking up and seeing that their boyfriend/girlfriend -whatever angle you look at the song, has left them. And this person is trying to find a way back home, and trying to fix the broken pieces. This is where I don't quite get the song. At first it sounds like this person loves their now-ex, and just wants to find them and get them back and fix everything, but then I heard 'I'm looking for a way to change my mind and walk away' and 'we'll find a way to fix these pieces and let go' which looks like this person wants out of the relationship just as much as the other person, but wants to do it properly, to make sure there's all ends are tied so it's a peaceful thing. Which then makes me question, when they say 'I'm trying to find a way back home' which is sung with a lot of emotion, what exactly is home? Suddenly 'home' feels like something that existed a long time ago, before this relationship was a thing.. I guess I'll need a few days to figure the song out more.
Over And Out: this song is so dark! It's guitary and the drums are amazing, it's a really driven song. It has a little bit of Panic vibes because there's effect on their voices there's one tiny bit, where the drumming.. sounds just like black veil brides.. which I can guarantee a lot of people  won't be happy about..
It's a rebel song, it's a I am who I am, leave me to be me, take me how I am or not at all kind of song. It's a stand, it's that point where you explode because people are pressuring you to be something you're not, so that's it, that person you want me to beIs gone. It's very stubborn 'I'm gone for good and that's me over and out.' Michael has a lot to say in the song, this song again, is perfect for Michael's dark angry voice.. I think it might be one of my favourites from the EP.
Lost In Reality: the first chords are the same as Dammed If I do Ya by All Time Low!! As soon as I heard the song I was like whoa.. all time low? But I couldn't put my finger on the song, but it's finally clicked! This song has such bad All Time Low vibes -bad as in good.
The song  is about a girl called Haley and someone is in love with her, she's tough and doesn't treat him right, or he could be friendzoned and it just feels like she's throwing him around because that's just how love feels. It's about how painful it can be to be in love with someone who isn't giving you anything back, but still you love that about them. It's catchy and could also be one of my favourites because of it's all time low-ness.

That's all the songs, the EP has a good range of songs all meaning different things, it's a good warm up to the album and now I'm more ready than ever for the new music, two more months...
We've heard four songs from this album so far and every song has a really good meaning, and they relate to me so much, I'm so excited for the new broken scene to be out there in its full glory and beauty. 


Shaan x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey