My Top 7 Favourite Films

Well hasn't this been a monster of a week! I mean it feels long because I've done so much and it's been so so tiring, but it's actually gone so so quick and I'm exhausted. I've got a  lot to say so I'll definitely make another 'life lately' post. But today I'm posting about something I've wanted to post for a while and I don't really know why. Like I talk about my music all the time, I felt like talking about my favourite films. Especially because there's two films I'm constantly constantly watching at the minute and I love rambling about things I'm obsessing over.
So I've put together a list of my all time favourite films. I have a lot,  I love so many genres, and it's impossible to pick favourites. But these films are ones I have continuously loved for years...

Peter Pan. This has been my favourite film since I was six and it came out. I can't really say what it was that I loved so much as a child, I think it was the kiss at the end of the film. I'm an absolute sucker for love stories and as a child, watching a film where younger people fell in love made it more relatable than watching adults. Then as I grew I started to really understand Peter and Wendy's love story about how Wendy wants to give away her 'kiss' and Peter wants to stay a boy, but can't help falling in love, and his feelings scare him making him lash out in anger causing a chain of events which is the film. My favourite line (except from "this belongs to you, and always will") is when Hook realises Peter loves Wendy and he gasps and says "he does feel...he feels about you." and it all clicks into place for Wendy, it's so emotional.
Then as I grew even older -16/17 years old, I started really relating to the whole "don't grow up it's a trap" side of it, and the film had a whole new meaning, it was an escape to pretend I didn't have to grow up and get a job, . And that, plus the epic love story of Peter and Wendy, the film just became the best thing that has ever happened.

How To Train Your Dragon. I promise I am a grown up, who loves mature things, this has actually bumped my second favourite film taking it's place. I saw the How To Train Your Dragon 2 in the cinema three times. And I'm not one who goes to the cinema multiple times to see the same film.
I love everything about this film, the characters, and oh lord the actors! Jay Baruchel and Gerard Butler! Jonah Hill, David Tennant...
But the character development in these films! They are vikings, which means they come from a time where women were under appreciated, yet Astrid is the most ballsy-est one in the film. I mean aside from Stoick of course. The way Astrid is a strong, leading female is so empowering, especially when they haven't built her to be butch and strong, it's all in her mind, yeah she punches people a lot and drags them around, it's her confidence that lets her do that. Same goes for Ruffnut, she's tough, and gross, but has more of that butch character that Astrid doesn't. Fishlegs and Snotlout, and obviously Hiccup, are all portrayed as weak, and scared of the dragons. Even Tuffnut is more scared than Ruffnut. The girls don't have a slither of fear, go feminism!
I love Hiccup's character the most, because he mirrors me. hiccup is not just that clumsy idiot that he appears to be in the first film. He is someone who sees the world in a different way, he's seen as weak but he's actually really strong. He struggles with trying to be like everyone else, at first he's like a lost soul, but he discovers himself through dragon training. He's curious, and doesn't want to be limited to one place, or one way of life. And he is the perfect character for people who feel the same to look up to. In the second film he really finds who he is supposed to be, after finding a missing half of himself which completes him it helps him figure out what he was born to be. And after a certain situation occurs, he has no choice but to stand up and use all he's learned to be the best he can for the village.
The film deals with issues such as individuality, single-widowed parent, the struggle between parent/child when your parent has a set plan for you that you can't follow, whilst displaying strong females, beautiful friendships, and bravery at it's bravest.
Plus Toothless is quite possibly my favourite character in the entire world. Especially in the second film.
And my favourite scene of all time is the Forbidden Friendship scene in the first film. The music with no talking, just actions.. it's just amazing, I love how they built a trust for each other with no words spoken.
But if I had to say what my favourite spoken words from the films were, it would be from the second film. One of my favourites is "That's your mother!" "Well, now you know where I get my dramatic flare"  and "GO GET 'EM BABE!" because that is so not viking language, it makes me smile every time I watch it.

Penelope. This has been my second favourite film until Toothless came along. It's another childish one I know, one of my favourite actors is James McAvoy, and I love his character is this film, he has a back story that we never really truly discover, but something happened to him which makes him lonely, and depressed, and it turns him to gambling which he isn't even very good at it. And Penelope is this strong women being held back by her mothers fears, she's grown up to feel insecure of herself because her mother was so worried about what people would think -even though she had the best intentions. It's the story of self discovery, self love, and love. Edward is the most irritating scum of a character ever! The scene when Johnny takes him into the bathroom and Edward says "I'm giving her what she wants. If you want to tell her that the only man willing to stand up and say 'I do' still gags at the thought of kissing her, then be my guest. But it's not me you'll be hurting." (that quote may not be word for word) is probably my favourite because of Johnny's reaction. You can literally see the rage rolling off of Johnny (James McAvoy), you can see how he really feels and I looove it!! The ending is so cute, and I remember watching it in primary school and everyone laughing at the end when Lennon looks through his camera in his rowing boat and the rowing boat is just tiny.

The Proposal. Oooh God I love this film! It's got an amazing line up of actors. Ryan Reynolds -who I love! Sandra Bullock, and Betty White.
It's kind of like your typical love story, Margaret forces Andrew into marriage so that she doesn't get deported, and on a trip to Andrew's parents house Margaret cliche-ly falls in actual love with Andrew. But the way it's done is beautiful. The back story between Andrew and his father, and his ex girlfriend, feels so human and so real, and I think that's why I love it so much. Because even though it's a film, it feels so real! Plus the film's funny and light hearted. As suggested by below GIF

Just Go With It. I went through a phase of absolutely loving this. Because it just wasn't what I was expecting. It has a cliche story to it, but it suddenly twists towards the end. It has Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston, Nicole Kidman, and Nick Swardson -and Nick's character makes me pee everytime. I like this film because it's Adam Sander for starters, it's funny, it involves Hawaii, insecurities from being called ugly, but also falling in love with the person  who feels like home, for me it's about seeing every kind of side of someone and loving every one of them. It's happened to me so many times. I'll have a crush on someone, and one day they'll suddenly show me this completely different side to them and seeing that realness from them makes me fall head over absolute heels, because I seem to have this thing about seeing people's realness, it's not something you often see these days.

Need For Speed, as a child my mum was a childminder, and she looked after this boy who was two years older than me, we looked after him for years and he's seen every side of me. We used to play a video game called need for speed. And there were the films Fast And Furious, and I alsways said they were the films that went with this game.
And then one day, they made a film from the actual game. And my God I had to see it, for nostalgia reaosns. And maybe because I like a man who can drive a car. As in really drive a car. And the story of this film is perfect and beautiful. As usual, I like it because of the romance. I mean don't get me wrong, it's an action based film with some amazing scenes -especially the one involving an army helicopter. But the girl in the film represents me. She's British for a start, a little clutsy, a typical girl, but she's fierce and full of surprises. I'm adventurous, and can be a little tomboy-ey, and I like to think I'm not a weak, pathetic, typical woman, I can run away from the police and hang out of a car, and jump off a gas station roof. Maybe. I like the thought that I could. I feel like if I ever found myself in the same situation as the girl from this film, I'd do everything she did, in the exact same way. Except I think it would take me a little longer to jump off that roof.

The Day After Tomorrow. This film is one I've loved since childhood. It's about the end of the world. Kind of. It's about how global warming can affect the North Atlantic Current and trigger an ice age, a geologist predicts it for a future generation but it suddenly happens. Large storms which act like super hurricains attack the earth, and people trapped in them die if they don't know how to survive, so the film is about survival, the geologist's son is trapped in New York where a super ice age hurricane is hitting, and Jack, the geologist, tells his son, Sam, how he can survive the storm. And that he'll trek across America to save him and his friends if he manages to stay alive. It's a bit like San Andreas which came out last year. I don't know what it is about this film, there's just something that I love and I've loved it for years.






Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey