Girl Online: Book Review

So I realise it is very, very late to be posting this as the book did come out on November 25th, but I didn't get it until Christmas and I enjoyed it too much not to write anything about it.
 I know there's been a lot of "controversy" about who actually wrote the it, but I honestly read the entire book in Zoe's voice. She said from the start she was getting help with because obviously she isn't an author but I thought the book was great!

 It's your typical teenage fairy-tale, going to another country and falling for a guitar-strumming American and he shows you all his favourite hidden spots of this new country and he has this sad back story that he pours out to you, but then he has this mysterious side, something's different about him...
 I'd predicted the outcome of the story as soon as I picked it up, but there is a twist towards the end which I didn't see happening and then another twist in the last few pages which I also didn't see coming. It's like the fairy-tale you've read time and time again however the ending is completely new. A lot of the story is set in New York but the book isn't about New York, they didn't go up the Empire State building like you normally would or do other touristy things, it was more intimate and the places they went to were more meaningful.
 I also like the approach Zoe took regarding anxiety, she didn't do the whole 'panic attacks in school and the now whole world knows about this poor girl's issues' she wrote more about the confusion anxiety can give you, because you're scared and unsure with how your body is acting. She also wrote about how to explain the situation to friends and family which I think is more of a common issue that real people with anxiety have. Then she slid in tips on how to control it as well if you struggle with it, overall it seemed like she just wanted her audience to know that it's okay to have anxiety and that there are ways to control it.

 My favourite part is definitely how the main character, Penny is clumsy and the type of person who has all the unfortunate things happen to her, she's relatable in every way possible. Zoe talks about the real struggles of a normal teenager's life and that your friends can sometimes not be your friends and that you need to learn to let go and move on. And that things can happen that are so bad you don't want to go into school again and face people (I have definitely been there) but when you stand up and face your problems people are actually still on your side and it's not as bad as your mind builds it up to be (I've definitely been there too).
Zoe's book has a lot of messages girls need to learn from, it's not just a romantic story, it battles real life issues; clumsiness, backstabbing, acceptance, liking that hot guy who treats you wrong, real and fake friendships, and most importantly -the power of the internet.

 I don't think I should write any more because this is becoming a very long post so I'm going to leave it here with some pictures, I really enjoyed the book and everyone should buy it because it's just amazing and Zoe has put in so much hard work to produce this!



                                   



Shan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey