I Walked 12 Miles For Children's Charities

This happened in July sometime, or maybe August. It was when I'd broken my laptop charger and couldn't post. I still took lots of photos and planned loads of posts but when I got my laptop back working I never actually posted any of them. So this is one of those posts, which I found the photos to yesterday.
WAC stands for -I think, Wheelchair Awareness Challenge. I have a friend who uses a wheelchair and his family set up a charity event where they would walk from Leicester to Blackpool which is somewhere around 160 miles away. The point was to push the wheelchair across the country and raise money for various children's charities. It took place over the period of 8 days, and was a challenging experience for all involved. Me, my friend, my mum and my brother joined only for the first day as we had responsibilities at home that we couldn't just leave for 8 days.
In the first day we walked from Leicester city centre to Loughborough city centre, we had done no training, we didn't have appropriate footwear, it was a disaster waiting to happen really. And while the end of it was a struggle it was actually alright. I really pushed myself and proved to myself I could keep going.
I'm definitely not someone who walks 12 miles on a daily basis, I did it once in high school in year 7 and even then I couldn't complete it because I had rubbed my feet raw with blisters. I did the same this time, but I fought through the blisters, however, the problems I have in my hips.. that pain I couldn't fight. Towards the end my hips had locked up and I could barely take a step, I had the option to travel in a bus for a while to regain my strength, but I really wanted to keep going. And I did.
Joining the walk were lots of Miss England contestants, which I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit fangirlish around.. But kept my absolute chill. I tried to befriend them but I was too scared to really talk to any of them. I managed to mumble a few words by the end of the day which is accomplishment enough for me.
I've forever wanted to do race for life and other charity walks, so this was something I was really looking forward to, and I'm so happy I did it, it was a good experience. People in cars would drive past and beep at us, people in the streets would ask us what we're doing, wish us luck or donate, everyone on the walk was so determined and energetic and we were all supportive of each other.
Trying to get a sneaky selfie with a Miss England girl.. The shame.

The start point
I'm at the back far right third one in. (wearing AHS merch)

Towards the end when I'd dropped to the back of the line because I was so tired.

I'm whited out here, but I'm second from the back, crossing the road.

Entering Loughborough. The relief that I'd made it this far. Repping that American Horror Story shirt though haha.


Shaan x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey