Currently Listening To...

I didn't post this yesterday, I wrote out half of it which I've just completely erased, I didn't think I had any songs to post about really, over the night I remembered some of the songs I've listened to this week that had escaped my brain yesterday, so I'm going to re-write this post in a very nervous fashion because I'm expecting a phone call I'm really nervous about in about -oh, a minute ago.

There's A Place - All American Rejects, I love this band so much!! I didn't even know they'd released a new song until it was recommended on YouTube. And I was in the middle of writing a post at the time so I played it as background music, when I looked down at my phone for a second it was halfway through the music video and my reaction was "WOW HE GOT SO OLD SO QUICK!" but after watching the video through in its' entirety I realised he was supposed to get older..
It's an acoustic song accompanied by raw emotional vocals. It has a kind of echo-y sound to it where you can really hear the space that it was recorded in. I'm thinking/acting like it's deliberate to add more to the meaning of the song because it's about a man singing on the streets in his lonesomeness, so the echo-y sound creates the picture of the lonely man with nothing but his voice and a guitar on the streets, he's singing at this girl who he has clearly loved, and longed to be with for a very long time. They were friends as kids so I have two ideas, either they were together and he screwed up bad and now she's moved on but he never could, or he has loved her since they were kids but never could tell her, and through the years they drifted and she became someone with a life while he rotted away over his love for her. I guess we'll find out when the movie comes out -which this song is a soundtrack to.

Catch 22/The Space Between A Rock And A Hard Place - 5 Seconds Of Summer, wow that's a mouthful. There are two songs off of Sounds Good Feels Good that are only available on the Target version of the album, which is an American store. That may also be in Australia though I'm unsure.
This song is more of what I was expecting from the album, it has that old school, teenage but mature guitar band sound that I thought this album was going to be, for some reason the start really reminds me of the music from Shrek...
The lyrics to this song are really good, it's about being painfully in love with someone who is playing games, if he gets the girl he's screwed because she's just playing him, but if he doesn't get her he's also screwed because he'll be hurt. I don't quite understand the term 'catch 22' I googled it but it doesn't make much sense to me, I think for the song it means that this girl has got him trapped in her lust and won't relieve him. Throughout the song the lyrics are just begging for her, until the breakdown where Micheal sings "let me go/ I'm better off alone" before speaking "and here we go again" and it goes back into the chorus of them begging for her love again. I love this bit because it's like he has moments of clarification, that he needs to get out of this situation, but then he's suddenly under her influence "here we go again" and he's back to begging for her. When you listen to the song like that is suddenly has a very eerie feel to it..

Story Of Another Us - 5 Seconds Of Summer, this is also carries the sound I thought the album would be, it sounds like the older 5sos, but with a more mature sound. It's very bass and drums focused in the verses then guitar and drum smashing it up in the chorus, the song is a love song so it's slower than Catch 22. It's about wanting to start again in a relationship that's breaking down/already broken and he's reminiscing, wanting things to be different. There are a lot of references between Heartache On The Big Screen and Amnesia by 5sos which makes this song feel like a sequel to the two. He is on the very, very edge of breaking point and is desperate to have his girl back and start over so he won't break. He's so willing he to give his whole heart back to this girl, which shows this love is eternal, which could be dangerous for him if she won't have him back.

Leave Before The Lights Come On - Arctic Monkeys, I rediscovered this little jem the other day. When I was 14 I decided to find out what the hype was with the Arctic Monkeys and this was the song I listened to, alongside Florescent Adolescent (which is my all time favourite from them). I suddenly came across this song on my phone the other day and completely forgot how good it was! It's about accidentally sleeping with the girl your friend liked, then sneaking out in the morning. I'm guessing it was at a bar and they got drunk and ended up in a one night stand. But I love this song because of the music! The classic bass-y, slight electrical guitar throughout which they're known for. But then there's a big instrumental bit which I love!! It's like any instrumental, people playing instruments, but then it gets really wild and it sounds like everyone's just going mental at their instrument yet it still sounds good. It sounds amazing I'm obsessed -all over again.

Below My Feet - Mumford And Sons, okay okay okay. I became absolutely infatuated with Mumford And Sons a few years ago, and this song was my favourite, I used to sit in my bedroom doing homework, or working on my 'life scrapbook'thing.. and I'd have this song on top volume and it would really hurt my ears during the climax.. those Blackberry earphones. But I had to have it on top volume, because it was such a beautiful song. I haven't listened to it for a very long time, and like the Arctic Monkeys song I stumbled across this the other day, and I wanted to cry, it's a beautiful song and carries so much sentiment for me. When I was younger, as soon as I'd hear the guitar bit I'd stop what I was doing to prepare myself for the big moment, I'd get goosebumps when the 'ahh ahh's came in, and the when the big moment came, I'd throw whatever I was doing across the room and scream-whisper with all the passion and emotion in the world "KEEP THE EEEAARTH BELOOOW MY FEET!!!!!......" I was absolutely in love with the emotion put into this song, and to this day it remains the best climax I've ever heard in a song, it's so gritty and angry and loud and powerful, and raspy and I will never, ever tire of it.

That's all the songs I've listened to that haven't already been talked about on here, this week I've listened to a lot of Sounds Good Feels Good, and the usual Bastille, but I really don't need to talk anymore about Bastille or 5SOS on here.
I also had that phone call I was nervous about while writing this, which has given me plans on Thursday, me, with plans. I'm excited to get out of this god damn house for a bit!


Shaan x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cute things to do in Autumn

Vogue Parody 73 Questions tag

Confronting Mental Health, One Hell Of a Journey